Here is a partial listing of some recent media appearances:
• “Driverless Cars are on the Way,” KNPR 88.9 FM, “State of Nevada,” January 15, 2014.
• “The Ethics of Drone Warfare,” WYPR 88.1 FM, “Midday with Dan Rodricks,” June 24, 2013.
• “The Ethics of Killing by Remote Control,” KPFK 90.1 FM, “Background Briefing with Ian Masters,” February 5, 2013.
• “Newshour Special: Drones,” BBC World Service, “Newshour,” October 5, 2012.
• “The Future of Cyberwar,” KUOW 94.9 FM, “The Conversation,” July 3, 2012.
Here is a partial listing of some other writing that has appeared in various media outlets:
• “Eyes Over Syria: Using Drones to Monitor Atrocities,” RUSI Analysis (Royal United Services Institute), August 27th, 2013.
• “More Heat Than Light: The Vexing Complexities of the Drone Debate,” Dialog Advisory Group, Symposium on Peace & Justice, February 25, 2013.
• “The Morality of Actual Use,” New York Times, “Room for Debate: Do Drone Attacks Do More Harm Than Good?”, September 26, 2012.
• “The Morality of Drone Warfare Revisited,” UK Guardian, August 6, 2012.
I was recently awarded a collaborative research grant along with my fellow co-PIs from the National Science Foundation to study the ethics of cybewarfare. It is a 3-year, $500,000 grant. See here for more information on winning the grant.
Here is a partial listing of some recent refereed conference papers, invited presentations, & colloquium talks (see my full CV for a complete listing):
- “The Cause for Which They Fight,” Annual Conference of the International Society of Military Ethics – Europe, Koblenz, Germany, May 2014.
- “The Moral Exploitation of Soldiers,” Inaugural Conference of the Stockholm Center for the Ethics of War and Peace, May 2014.
- “Internet In Bello: International Humanitarian Law and Cyber Operations,” International Committee of the Red Cross Public Panel on Cyberwarfare, Ethics, and IHL, Geneva, Switzerland, May 2014.
- “The Responsibility Dilemma: Response to Arneson,” American Philosophical Association Pacific Division Annual Conference, San Diego, CA April 2014.
- “Predator or Protector?” Presentation and Panel Debate, The Berkeley Forum, University of California, Berkeley, CA, November 2013.
- “The Value of Moral Judgment and Emerging Autonomous Technology,” 4th International Colloquium on the Philosophy of Technology, Universidad de Ciencias Empresariales y Sociale, Buenos Aires, Argentina, September, 2013.
- “Soul of a Robot: Why Moral Agency Matters,” Keynote Address, Military Robotics and the changing nature of armed conflict: Ethics, Law, and Design for the armies of the 21st Century, Bad Homburg, Germany, September 2013.
- “Consciousness and Agency: Response to Hess,” 6th Annual Rocky Mountain Ethics Congress, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, August, 2013.
- “The Aims of War: Response to Bazargan,” American Philosophical Association Annual West Regional Meeting, San Francisco, CA, March, 2013.
- “War and Moral Wounds: Response to Sherman,” War Ethics Conference, University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA, March, 2013.
- “Justice, Drones, and Killing in War,” International Studies Association Annual Convention, San Francisco, April, 2013.
- “Ethics, Foreign Policy, and the 2012 Presidential Election,” Roundtable participant at the International Studies Association (ISA) West Regional Annual Meeting, Pasadena, CA, October 2012.
- “The Independence Thesis for Jus Ex Bello and Intra-Bellum Proportionality Assessments,” at Oxford’s Institute for Ethics, Law, and Armed Conflict Annual Conference, Merton College, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK, August 31st, 2012.
- “Defining Harm and the Principle of Distinction,” Annual McCain Conference, United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD, April 2012.
- “Response to Rodin,” Oxford Institute for Ethics, Law, and Armed Conflict Annual Workshop on War, “Law and Ethics in War,” University of Oxford, Oxford, UK September 2011.
- “Terrorism and the Moral Equality of Combatants,” Center for Applied Philosophy, Politics, & Ethics (CAPPE), University of Brighton, Brighton, UK, August 2011.
- “Neutrality, Necessity, and Power Asymmetry,” International Society of Military Ethics Annual Symposium, San Diego, January 2011.
- “Self-Defense, Liability, and Threat of Harm,” UConn Philosophy Department Colloquium Series, December 2011.
- “Peer Mentor Teaching Programs and the Constructive Use of Videotaping,” (with Daniel Massey) American Association of Philosophy Teachers annual conference, Coastal Carolina University, August 2010.
- “UAVs and Unnecessary Risk,” 7th Global Conference on War and Peace, Prague, Czech Republic, April 2010.
- “UAVs as Ethically Obligatory,” International Society of Military Ethics Annual Symposium, San Diego, January 2010.
- “The Institutional Duties of Human Rights,” 8thInternational Conference of the International Development Ethics Association, Valencia, Spain, December 2009.
- “A Puzzle Over Autonomous Consent,” UConn Philosophy Graduate Student Colloquium, Storrs, CT, October 2009.
- “The Paradox of Rule-Breaking in Sport,” 37thAnnual Meeting of the International Association for the Philosophy of Sport, Seattle, WA, August 2009.
- “Can Love Be Alien? Frankfurtian Volitional Necessity and the Impact of Choices on Identity,” Futures of Critical Theory, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, March 2009.
- “Whose Duties? The Correlative Duties of Human Rights,” UConn Graduate Human Rights Conference, Storrs, CT, April 2009.
- “A Problem for Van Inwagen on the Metaphysics of Free Will,” U.S. Air Force Academy Philosophy Department Faculty Colloquium Series, December 2007.