“Camus says knowing when you’re going to die makes life absurd,” Noreen says.
“Well, I don’t know who that is,” Betsy replies, “but I’m betting he doesn’t have a 6-year-old girl.”
I am an Associate Professor of Philosophy in the Defense Analysis Department at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA. I am also a Research Associate at Oxford University’s Institute for Ethics, Law, and Armed Conflict (ELAC) in Oxford, UK. Prior to my current positions, I was a Resident Research Fellow at the Stockdale Center for Ethical Leadership in Annapolis, MD. I previously taught philosophy at the University of Connecticut and the US Air Force Academy.
I work in ethics, broadly construed, both normative and applied. I have areas of competence in political philosophy, metaphysics, and philosophy of religion (both Western and non-Western). Outside of my AOS and AOCs, I have enduring research interests in Kant, action theory, logic, the philosophy of sport, and ancient philosophy, as well as a variety of particular applied ethics sub-fields, including: the ethics of war and peace, military ethics, bioethics, and development ethics.
My publication and research profile is intentionally broad and I aim for my work to have interdisciplinary relevance and application. I have published in ethics, political philosophy, metaphysics, Plato, and human rights, among other areas. Some of these publications have appeared in such peer-reviewed journals as Analysis, Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, Philosophia, Journal of Military Ethics, Public Affairs Quarterly, Journal of Human Rights, and Epoché. I’ve published books with Oxford University Press, Palgrave Macmillan, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, and Routledge. I have also written widely in popular media such as the New York Times, the Guardian, 3 Quarks Daily, among other places, and I have appeared on various NPR affiliates, the BBC World Service, and other media outlets.
Please see my CV (available upon request) for a full list of my publications.
Ph.D. Philosophy, University of Connecticut, 2012
M.A. Philosophy, University of Connecticut, 2006
B.A. History, University of Northern Colorado, 2001
- 2017 – Present: Associate Professor of Philosophy (tenured); Department of Defense Analysis, US Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
- 2012 – 2017: Assistant Professor of Philosophy (tenure-track); Department of Defense Analysis, US Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
- 2012 – Present: Research Associate; Oxford Institute for Ethics, Law, and Armed Conflict (ELAC), Oxford Martin School, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- 2011 – 2012: Resident Research Fellow; Stockdale Center for Ethical Leadership, Annapolis, MD
- 2008 – 2011: Philosophy Instructor; Department of Philosophy, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- 2006 – 2008: Philosophy Instructor; Department of Philosophy, US Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO